Thursday, September 14, 2017

Ada Grey Interviews for You: Interview with Chase Phillips from Mowtown the Musical

I had so much fun emailing with Chase Phillips from Mowtown the Musical about playing Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson, who his favorite singers are, and his joyous reaction to getting cast in the show. Mowtown returns to Chicago October 3-8, 2017


Ada Grey: How does it feel to portray these music icons (Berry Gordy, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson)? Does it feel like a big responsibility?

Chase Phillips: It feels awesome to portray such important people especially when they were children. They all began making an impact on people’s lives when they were at a young age, so it’s very important to me that I do an incredible job.

AG: How did you react when you found out you got the part?

CP: I screamed, shouted and started to praise the Lord because I was so thankful to get the part.

AG: Which character that you play do you relate to the most?

CP: I would say Stevie Wonder because he was probably treated like he was different by kids when he was growing up but he pushed through it. At my old school, I was treated badly sometimes because I didn’t fit in, but I pushed through it and always did my best.

AG: Which song in Motown do you think is the most fun to sing?

CP: “The Love You Save” by the Jackson 5 because it’s a more upbeat song than all their other songs in the play that are about sad love.

AG: What are some of your favorite music artists?

CP: John Legend, Adele, Michael Jackson, and Tye Tribbett.

AG: What are some of the things you are looking forward to doing on tour? What will you miss about home?

CP: Traveling to all the different locations and meeting all the new people! I’ll miss my family, friends, dog, and my school.

No comments: