Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Review of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Musical

Once upon a time I went to a show and it was called Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Musical. It was directed by Jeff Frank and the script was adapted by Robert Penola from the tv special. It is about Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and how he is left out of everything by his friends and how he wants to be like the other reindeer, but then he realizes that he's special. It has a lesson, which is to accept yourself the way that you are. I thought that this play was fun and I think that many people would enjoy themselves if they came to it.

I thought that the set and costumes (designed by Brandon Kirkham) were really cool because they looked a lot like what the tv show looked like. I thought that the set was really awesome because the set actually came apart and looked like icebergs. I also thought that how Yukon Cornelius (Michael Accardo) slid down the ice into the cave of the Abominable Snowman was cool because you were scared for Yukon Cornelius but it was cool how you got to see him slide down into the cave instead of just going into the cave. I thought that the costumes were really awesome because they looked a lot like the tv show. They looked animated even though you knew there was a person inside them. Like Rudolph (Cody J. Bolithon) looked exactly like Rudolph from the show. And they made that happen by making the giant eyes like Rudolph has in the tv show. And he had hooves that looked like clay like the ones in the tv show.

Sometimes you don't want it to be like the tv show. I thought that the elves' dance was kind of cheesy. It was cheesy because they seemed like they knew what they were doing, but their movements were just so "hey! hey! I'm an elf! yay!" which is not like the tv show. The tv show was less cheesy because it was mostly playing instruments. I thought that the Boss Elf (Jason Bowen) was a little bit pushy with the craziness, meaning that his own behavior was crazier than I thought it should have been. I think that what made the tv show less wacky was that you couldn't see what the voice actors looked like when they were doing their parts and since it was animation their faces were more blank. Their faces didn't look crazy even if their voices were crazy.

There were two performers that I think did an amazing job. They were Sam the Snowman (Sean Patrick Fawcett) and Clarice (Avery Moss). Sam the Snowman was really awesome because he was expressive of the snowman's feelings and how he felt about the story. I liked how he used the costume and he seemed to glide around the stage. I was enjoying him a lot when he was doing the songs because he was good at singing and good at doing the dancing even though it was probably hard for him to get around in that costume. I thought that Clarice did a very good job singing. I think her performance made me like Clarice a bunch because she is not mean to Rudolph and this actress made the character even more lovable.

I thought that the puppets were very cute and they all reminded me of cute stuffed animals and toys I'd seen in store windows. I really liked the train puppet (Parker Guidry) because its mouth really moved and when he said "I have square wheels," at that moment you were basically noticing that he had square wheels. I also really liked the plane toy because the puppeteer could turn its face so it looked happy and then you could turn a knob on the back and its mouth would flip so it looked sad. I thought that the rabbits were very cute because of everything about them. Their teeth were very cute and they had fluffy tails. When they hopped around it was so cute. I thought the misfit toys and the animals not being played by humans but being played by puppets was a great idea because it wouldn't feel the same if they were people because of the size and these puppets looked so much like actual toys because they basically were actual toys. The biggest puppet was the Abominable Snowman. That puppet was my favorite puppet because it was big, awesome, and it made you love the Abominable Snowman. The little kids were probably terrified of him, just at first, because he wasn't scary after he had taken Yukon Cornelius to his dungeon. Little kids will love him after he becomes good because he wasn't all that scary to begin with because he was a puppet.

People who would like this show are people who like red noses, the tv show, and Abominable Snowmen. I think this show is fine for all ages. This isn't my favorite Christmas show, but I think big fans of the tv show would love seeing this.


Photos: Tom McGrath

No comments: