Thursday, November 13, 2014

Review of Great Expectations at Strawdog Theatre Company

Once upon a time I went to a show for the second time and it was called Great Expectations. There were different actors this year, but I thought all the actors from this year and last year were both amazing. You can read my first review of Great Expectations, but here are some of my favorite things about the new production.

I thought the fights (choreographed by Sam Hubbard) were very cool. I especially liked the underwater fight between Compeyson (Amanda Drinkall) and Magwitch (Cody Proctor) because it was very intense. This Magwitch showed more how scared and sad he was than how scary he was. I thought that was very cool. I also liked the fight between Herbert (Caleb Fullen) and Pip (Mike Tepeli). It was funny last year as well. One of my favorite parts and lines, probably to the end of my life, is when Herbert gets punched in the face and says, "Oh, it's okay. My fault entirely."

I thought the sailor dance was very funny again. One of my favorite parts of it was when the woman who also played Miss Havisham (Mary Winn Heider) was dancing with the man who also played Joe (Paige Smith) and then he just starting sticking out his butt and she started sliding down into sort of a lunge. They looked out at the audience and just had this "I'm so sexy" expression as they slowly slid down or stuck their butt in the other person's face. I thought that was probably one of the funniest things ever. I thought they were amazing as Joe and Miss Havisham too.

People who would like this remount are people who like Victorian novels, awesome underwater fights, and supposedly-sexy sailor dancing. People should definitely go and see this show. I absolutely loved it. It was on my top ten of 2013!

Photo: Kyle Hamman, KBHMedia

No comments: